User experience – or UX for short – is how a multitude of design factors makes the end user feel about a product – the emotion and connection they feel when using it. Emotional response is a timeless and powerful marketing methodology that invests the user in a service. Being able to translate this into a tactile experience maintains your customers satisfaction, gains their trust and keeps their attention.
In the digital age, it’s becoming clearer the sort of experience potential customers looking for. They want content to work, work fast and look good working fast. Customers are non-hesitant in moving on if they can’t find what they’re looking for on your website/application.
- 79% of people will search somewhere else if the web content is optimised for their device [Via Adobe]
- 39% of people will stop engaging with a website/service that takes too long to load [Via Adobe]
- 38% of people will stop engaging with a website if the content/layout is unattractive. [Via Adobe]
And the device of choice among the average consumer? The Smartphone.
- Over 80% of internet users own a smartphone [via SmartInsights]
- 94% of smartphone users look for local information content on their smartphone and 90% of those users take action such as contacting a business or making a purchase [Via Televox]
- 50% of digital media time is spent on the smartphone [Via ComScore]
This – of course – has caused a major shift in the way we tailor our designs for the user. We must start adapting a user-centred design, in which elements are and easy to find and use. A good user experience enriches customer experience (CX), reflecting the brand in a positive light, and making them more lightly to use your brand in the future.
- 52% of customers continued to use more products or services from a company after having a positive customer experience, and 51% recommended the company to others. Likewise, a bad customer service experience resulted in 59% of customers ceasing business with that company, and 55% going to a competitor [Via Dimensional Research]
While user-centred design is a great way to keep your customers attention, the hook stems almost entirely from aesthetics. Whether that’s a lively and exuberant design language or a hard-professional look, your application/website needs to be visually appealing, while also representing the personality of your organisation.
- First Impressions are 94% design related [Via Alsunadni and Casey 2009]
- It takes less than two-tenths of a second for an online visitor to form a first opinion of your brand once they’ve perused your company’s website [Via Missouri University]
With all these different aspects of user experience taken into account, executing to the standard you want for your organisation can be a difficult feat. We are here to help.
At HexGen, we put the user at the centre of everything we do. Our deep pool of talented extends across a variety of digital industries; From web design to app development, from graphic design to SEO, we are ready to help shape the future of your organisation.
Author: Ryan Southall